Baltimore City Police Commissioners

 1850-1861 (Mayor member Ex-officio)

Charles Howard
William H Gatchell
Charles d Hinks
John W Davis

June 22 1861 March 29 1862 (Under control if the United States Military authorities)
Police Commissioners Apointed by the Military authorities

Columbus O'Donnell
Archibald Sterling Jr.Thomas Kelso
John R Kelso
John W Randolph
Peter Sauerwein
John B Seidenstricker 
Joseph Roberts
Michael Warner

March 29 1862 to Nov 15 1866 (Mayor member Ex-officio)

Samuel Hindes
Nicholas L Wood

Nov 15 1866 to March 1867 (Mayor member Ex-officio)

William T Valiant
James Young

March 1867

Lefevre Jarrett
James E Carr
William H B Fusselbaugh

March 14 1870

John W Davis
James E Carr
William H B Fusselbaugh

March 15 1871

William H B Fusselbaugh
James E Carr
Thomas W Morse

March 15 1875

William H B Fusselbaugh
Harry Gilmor
John Milroy

March 15 1877

William H B Fusselbaugh
Harry Gilmor
James R Herbert

April 12 1878

William H B Fusselbaugh
James R Herbert
John Milroy

March 15 1881

George Colton
James R Herbert
John Milroy

March 15 1883

George Colton
James R Herbert
John Milroy

Aug 5 1884

George Colton
John Milroy
J D Ferguson

Feb 25 1886

George Colton
John Q A Robson
John Milroy

Jun 25 1886

George Colton
John Q A Robson
Alfred J Carr

March 15 1887

Edson M Schryver
Alfred J Carr
John Q A  Robson

Jan 23 1888

Edson M Schryver
John Gill Jr
John Q A Robson

Dec 1 1894

Edson M Schryver
John Gill Jr
John C Legg

March 27 1896

Daniel C Heddinger
John Gill Jr
Edson M Schryver

March 15 1897

Daniel C Heddinger
William W Johnson
Edson M Schryver

May 7 1900

George M Upsher
Edward H Fowler
John T Morris

March 23 1904

George M Upsher 
John T Morris
Thomas J Shryock

May 2 1904

George R Willis
James H Preston
Thomas J Shryock

May 4 1908

Sherlock Swann
John B A Wheltle
Peter E Tome

May 2 1910

John B A Wheltle
Peter E Tome
C Baker Clotworthy

April 4 1912

John B A Wheltle
Peter E Tome
Morris A Soper

May 6 1912

Morris A Soper
Daniel C Ammidon
Alfred S Niles

Dec 31 1913

James McEvoy
Daniel C Ammidon
Alfred S Niles

Dec 28 1914

Daniel C Ammidon
Clarendon I T Gould
Alfred S Niles

March 22 1916

Lawrason Riggs
Daniel C Ammidon
Alfred S Niles

May 1 1916

Lawrason Riggs
Edward F Burke
Daniel C Ammidon
In 1920 the Board of Police Commissioners was abolished and General Charles D. Gather was appointed as our first Police Commissioner.

Circa 1917 (The title Chief was Marshal in Baltimore City)

Jacob Frey served as Marshal from Oct 15 1885 - Jul 12 1897
Thomas F Garnan was deputy Marshal / Acting Marshal from July 13 1897 - Oct 6 1897
Samual T Hamilton was Marshal from Oct 7 1897 - Oct 7 1901

On July 12, 1897, the active connection of Marshal Jacob Frey with the Police Department ceased. On October 7, 1897, Capt. Samuel T. Hamilton was elected Marshal of Police to succeed Marshal Frey. Marshal Hamilton was a veteran officer of the Civil War and a man of indisputable courage and integrity. For many years following the great civil conflict he had served on the Western frontier and took part in the unremitting campaigns against the Sioux and other Indian tribes, who were constantly waging war upon the settlers and pioneers as they pushed their way toward the setting sun, building towns and railroads and trying to conquer the wilderness and its natural dwellers. In the Sioux campaign of 1876, when Gen. George A. Custer and his gallant command, outnumbered ten to one by the Indians in the valley of the Little Big Horn, were annihilated, Captain Hamilton and his troop rode day and night in a vain effort to re-enforce Custer and his sorely pressed men. It was on June 26, 1876, the Seventh United States Cavalry rode and fought to their deaths, and on June 27, the day following, the reinforcements arrived, exhausted from their terrific ride across the country. Captain Hamilton and his troop fought through the rest of the campaign, which resulted in Sitting Bull, the great Indian war chief, being driven across the Canadian frontier.
Thomas F Farnan Deputy Marshal / Acting Marshal from Oct 8 1901 - Aug 7 1902
Thomas F Farnan Apointed Marshal fron Oct 8 1902 - Aug 8 1914
Robert D Carter Apointed Marshal Aug 14 1914 - until after 1917

Baltimore City Police Commissioners 

  • Charles Howard, 1850-1861
  • Nicholas L.Wood, 1862-1864 
  • Samuel Hindes, 1864-1866
  • James Young, 1866-1867
  • LeFevre Jarrett, 1867-1870
  • John W. Davis, 1870-1871
  • William H.B. Fusselbaugh, 1871-1881
  • George Colton, 1881-1887
  • Edson M. Schryver, 1887-1897
  • Daniel C. Heddinger, 1897-1900
  • George M. Upsher, 1900-1904
  • George R. Willis, 1904-1908
  • Sherlock Swann, 1908-1910
  • John B.A. Wheltle, 1910-1912
  • Morris A. Soper, 1912-1913
  • James McEvoy, 1913-1914
  • Daniel C. Ammidon, 1914-1916
  • Lawrason Riggs, 1916-1920
  • Charles D. Gaither, 1920-1937 Here
  • William Lawson, 1937-1938
  • Robert F. Stanton, 1938-1943
  • Hamilton R. Atkinson, 1943-1949
  • Beverly Ober, 1949-1955
  • James M. Hepbron, 1955-1961
  • Bernard Schmidt, 1961-1966
  • Donald Pomerleau, 1966-1981
  • Frank Battaglia, 1981-1984
  • Bishop Robinson, 1984-1987
  • Edward J. Tilghman, 1987-1989
  • Edward V. Woods, 1989-1993
  • Thomas C. Frazier, 1994-1999
  • Ronald L.Daniel, 2000
  • Edward Norris, 2000-2002
  • Kevin Clark, 2003-2004
  • Leonard Hamm, 2004-2007
  • Frederick Bealefeld III, 2007-2012
  • Anthony W. Batts 2012-Present

    Anthony W. Batts was appointed Police Commissioner of the City of Baltimore, Maryland in September of 2012 and commands the eighth largest police agency in the United States. With over three decades of law enforcement experience, Batts previously served as Chief of Police for two of California’s largest police agencies. During his tenure, he has presided over major reductions in crime and violence. He is credited with reforming the City of Oakland’s police agency to focus on data-driven policing. In Long Beach, California, he established an Office of Community Policing and reduced excessive force complaints, while simultaneously reducing crime, including reducing homicides by 37% from 2002 to 2007.
    Batts began his career in law enforcement in 1982 as a police officer working street patrol and narcotics cases for the Long Beach Police Department. From 1982 to 2002, Batts worked his way up the ranks in the department, holding various command positions, including deputy chief of investigations from 1999-2001, commander of South Patrol Division 1997-1998, commander of Field Support Division from 1995-1997, commander of Community Relations Division from 1992-1995, and commander of East Patrol Division from 1991-1992. In October 2002, he became chief of police, overseeing more than 1,600 employees and a $172 million budget. From July to October 2007, Batts was briefly entrusted to serve as city manager for Long Beach, overseeing twelve city agencies during a transitional period. He then resumed command of the department from October 2007 to October 2009.
    Batts was then recruited to serve as chief of police for the Oakland Police Department from October 2009 to November 2011, where he developed a long-range strategic plan for the agency, while overseeing a $170 million budget and improving community outreach.
    Batts holds a doctorate in public administration from the University of La Verne (1998), a master’s in business management from the University of Redlands (1988), and a bachelor’s in law enforcement administration from California State University, Long Beach (1986). Batts has also served as a professor for California State University, Long Beach.
    Batts has received numerous awards, citations, and honors from community and business groups, educational and charitable organizations, governments, and national police organizations. His honors include the Governor’s Award for the most effective crime fighting program in California (1991), the NAACP Community Service Award (2006), and the Long Beach Police Department Meritorious Award for Heroism (1992). Batts has also participated in countless training programs, including Harvard’s Executive Session on Policing (2007), the FBI National Executive Institute (2004), and National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives Executive Training (1998).
    Batts is the father of three children, is an avid mountain biker, and enjoys jazz concerts and sporting events.

    Contract approved for new city Police Commissioner Batts

    Batts takes pay cut

    By Justin Fenton, The Baltimore Sun

    4:12 PM EDT, September 12, 2012

    Baltimore's spending board unanimously approved an eight-year contract with Police Commissioner-designate Anthony W. Batts at its meeting Wednesday morning.

    The contract calls for Batts to receive a salary of $190,000, the same that Batts' predecessor Frederick H. Bealefeld III received when he was appointed to the post five years ago. It's a pay cut for Batts, who has a doctorate of public administration and made about $250,000 commanding a smaller force in Oakland, Calif., and about $225,000 in Long Beach, where he spent his 30-year career.

    Bealefeld's highest level of education was high school, and he received a $30,000 pay increase over Leonard D. Hamm.

    In Baltimore, the police commissioner position carries a six-year term. Batts will serve out the remainder of Bealefeld's term, which ends 2014, and will be appointed to his own term that runs through 2020.

    Bealefeld's contract was approved after he was confirmed by the City Council — confirmation hearings for Batts have not yet been scheduled. He is expected to start work here Sept. 27.

    Batts' contract largely mirrors his predecessor's, though it states that he could be allowed to seek outside paid employment with approval of the mayor's office. Batts will also be entitled to a $190,000 lump sum payout if his contract is terminated without cause.   -  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

commissioner john quincy adams robson

The Honorable John Quincy Adams Robson

Charles Howard

Samuel Hindes

James Young

Le fevre Jarrett
John W. Davis
Maj  Harry Gilmore C S A - NARA - 529239
Harry W. Gilmor
1874 to 1879

Harry W. Gilmor (January 24, 1838 – March 4, 1883) served as Baltimore City Police Commissioner in the 1870s, but he was most noted as a Confederate cavalry officer during the American Civil War. Gilmor's daring raids, such as The Magnolia Station Raid gained his partisans fame as "Gilmor's Raiders".

After the war, Gilmor moved to New Orleans, where he married Miss Mentoria Nixon Strong, daughter of Jasper Strong and Eliza Julia Nixon. Gilmor and his wife had three children.

Gilmor wrote his war memoirs, entitled Four Years in the Saddle (New York, Harper & Bros., 1866). He soon returned to Maryland and was elected a colonel of the cavalry in the Maryland National Guard. He also served as the Baltimore City Police Commissioner from 1874 to 1879. Gilmor died in Baltimore, plagued by complications from a war injury to his jaw. He was buried in Loudon Park Cemetery in an area now known as "Confederate Hill." At his death, Baltimore police stations flew their flags at half-staff. Gilmor's funeral was a large local event with many dignitaries present to honor this war hero.

Gilmor was born at "Glen Ellen", the family estate in Baltimore County, Maryland. He was the son of Robert Gilmor and Miss Ellen Ward, daughter of Judge William H. Ward. Harry was the fifth of eleven children.

Civil War

During the American Civil War, as a member of Captain Charles Ridgely's Baltimore County Horse Guards, Gilmor was arrested and imprisoned in Fort McHenry following the occupation of Baltimore by Federal troops. Upon his release, he traveled South and eventually rejoined the fighting serving, for a while, under General Turner Ashby. He was again captured during the Maryland Campaign and spent five months in prison. During the Gettysburg Campaign, Major Gilmor was assigned command of the First Maryland Cavalry and Second Maryland Cavalry, supporting Brig. Gen. George Steuart's infantry brigade. Gilmor was the provost marshal of the town of Gettysburg while it was occupied by the Confederates July 1–4.

The Magnolia Station Raid

After the Battle of Monocacy on July 9, 1864, Colonel Gilmor's command, along with Brig. Gen. Bradley T. Johnson's infantry, made a series of raids around Baltimore going as far east as Magnolia Station in Harford County, Maryland and Fork, Maryland. On July 10, 1864 Major Harry Gilmor of the 2nd Maryland Cavalry was given 135 men of the 1st and 2nd Maryland, and directed to cross Baltimore County into Harford County at Jerusalem Mill, and destroy the railroad bridge of the Philadelphia, Wilmington and Baltimore Railroad at Magnolia Station, northeast of the city. Early on the morning of July 11, Gilmor's cavalrymen reached Magnolia Station, [Major Harry W. Gilmor] located just off present-day I-95 near Joppa. There they proceeded to wreck two trains, one northbound and one southbound. After first evacuating the passengers and looting the cars, the troopers set fire to one of the trains and backed it over the trestle, thus partially destroying the bridge. To further sweeten the pot, aboard the northbound train was an unexpected prize—convalescing Union Maj. Gen. William B. Franklin. This raid was always regarded as one of the most daring ever attempted by detached cavalry on either side during the war.

Later in the day on July 11, 1864, Gilmore's advance group were passing the home of Ishmael Day on Sunshine Avenue in Fork, Maryland. Day was a Union sympathizer, and knowing Gilmor's troops were passing through, hung a large Union flag across the road. In the advance guard unit, Confederate color bearer and Ordnance Sergeant Eugene Fields told Day to take the flag down. After Day refused, an argument followed and Ishmael Day shot Sgt. Field at close range with a shotgun. Gilmor's men burned Day's home and Day immediately fled, cowering under a cider press for days until the passing troops were gone. The mortally wounded Sgt. Field was taken, accompanied by Gilmor, to Wright's Hotel operated by W.O.B. Wright on Harford Road, where Field later died.

Later raids

Gilmor was eventually ordered to take his command to Hardy County, West Virginia, and attack the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad. There, he was captured on February 4, 1865, and was held as a prisoner of war at Fort Warren in Boston Harbor until July 24, 1865.

George Colton
James Preston 2
police pics frame078
James H. Preston , 1904-1908 (Gov. Warfield made him a member of the Board of Police Commissioners for Baltimore City, 1904-08)

Marhal Carter, 1914 - 1917

The Last Marshal of Baltimore

Robert Dudley Carter, was born in Gaston/Littleton, Halifax County, North

Carolina, March 28, 1852. He was the son of Jesse and Sallie Ann Carter
(nee)"Whitaker". Robert got his middle name after the first elected
Governor, "Edward Bishop Dudley" elected by the people of North Carolina 1835.
Robert worked on his family farm and also as a Teamster wagon driver.

In 1869, he came to Baltimore, at 17 years old, Robert enlisted at 67 Thames
street Fells Point, Baltimore Maryland, and served in the U.S. Navy for 3
years. He married Dona Burkhart, early in 1875 at the age of 23.

In 1875 Robert had moved to Baltimore for good, that same year Dona gave birth
to a daughter, "Bessie May Carter", she was born in Baltimore City, Robert was
working in Baltimore as a Teamster with the old-horse car service, after which
he was a contracting foreman. In 1878 Dona gave birth to a son "Robert Dudley
Carter Jr", he too was born in Baltimore. Robert bought his first house
in "1880", at 1650 North Gilmor Street.

1884 May 12, Robert was appointment to (Police Officer), and worked at the
North West District, Baltimore City, he was 32 years old. He work hard at
being the best, and in 1888 March 9, he was promoted to "Sergeant", and 1892
November 17 he was promoted to "Lieutenant". In this same year Robert D. Jr.,
and Bessie May, and her husband Henry D. Hammond were all living with Robert
and Dona at 1650 North Gilmor street.

1894 April, Robert's father Jesse, was visiting from Stems, Granville county,
North Carolina, and passed-away in his sleep at Robert's house 1650 North Gilmor
Street, Baltimore. Dr. George W. Norris was called in and said his death was
due to heart disease. Jesse was 73 years old, and was a merchant, in Dry-Goods,
he started a store in Littleton and moved to Stems. Robert took Jesse back
home to North Carolina.

Working long days most up to 18 hours, showed Robert as a good Policeman, by
1914 August 14, Robert was promoted to "Marshal of Baltimore City Police
Department", he skipped the rank of Captain, he was 62 years old.

February 1915, Marshal Carter, made his debut as a public speaker, when he
told an audience of students of the "Johns Hopkins Medical School, just what
the Police Department of Baltimore City, was doing in the way of seeing that
the laws of the city and State are obeyed.

May 27,1915, there was a 63rd. birthday party held at "Arian's Country Club",
Wilkens Avenue Extended. It was expected to be up to 800 citizens of Baltimore
who have become acquainted with Marshal Carter. He was given a "14-karat Solid
Gold Badge", with 63 diamonds set in platinum. Topping the American Eagle is a
One-karat diamond.

In 1917 Marshal Carter was elected to be the National Commander of the Army
and Navy Union, held at the eighteenth biennial encampment at the "Bohemian
Hall", on Gay and Preston streets. September 4, 1918 he was made the Chief
Marshal of the parade which was headed by a delegation of the "Grand Army of
the Republic", and several thousand United Spanish War Veterans who are
holding their twentieth encampment in Baltimore.

1920 was a very hard year for Marshal Carter, Dona his wife was very ill, and
Robert D. Jr., was ill also, he had tuberculosis. Robert D. Jr., was in a
sanatorium in the mountains, Marshal Carter had Mary Gohagen working for him
to help take care of Dona and Robert D. Jr.

Marshal Carter, brought Robert D. Jr., home from the sanatorium knowing that he
could live only a short time. On December 26, 1920 Robert D. Jr. passed-away
at the age of 42, when Dona was told Mrs Carter she became unconscious. In
1921 August 7, Dona passed-away, this same year Marshal Carter retired from
the Baltimore City Police Department on January 20, 1921, he had 36 years and
8 months of service at the age of 68.

Marshal Carter, moved in with his daughter Bessie, and his son-in-law Henry D.
Hammond at 604 Hollen Road, Baltimore where he lived until 1936 October 22,
when he passed away from pneumonia at the age of 84. The Rev. Bruce H.
McDonald, pastor of the Westminster Presbyterian Church, conducted the service.
The Burial was at "Woodlawn Cemetery, Baltimore County, Maryland. With him is
wife Dona, son Robert D. Jr., with his wife Effie, and Robert's daughter
Bessie Carter Hammond. The Baltimore City Police Department named in his Honor
the Police Boat "Robert D. Carter" after Marshal Carter.

Marshal Robert D. Carter, was the "Last Marshal of Baltimore City Police Department",
As in 1920, when General Gaither, was made "Commissioner of Police" by the
Police Board in late 1920, he started a reorganization of the department, and
after Marshal Carter retired Gen. Gaither created the new post of Chief Inspector.

Marshal Carter, with tear filled eyes, stated he did not expect the
recognition given him, as he felt he was appointed to the position of Marshal
of Police by the Police Board and not by the citizens of Baltimore, " But I am happy to
say", he remarked, "That the Police Department, and every citizen of Baltimore
will get the best in me and in the force under me. I feel that Baltimore has
the best Police Department in the Country." and he worked to maintain that status
during his tenure as Baltimore's Last Marshal.

Marshal Carter, was personally known to Police Chiefs across the country. He was a
close personal friend of "William A. Pinkerton", of the Pinkerton Detective Agency and

at the time a well noted Private Detective. Robert was also a "Thirty-Second Degree

Mason", a "Shriner", and a "Knight Templar".

This information was gathered and compiled by Marshal Carter's Great Grandnephew
Kenneth M. Carter of Mount Airy, Maryland

Charles D. Gaither

“The General” of Baltimore Police


Commissioner Gaither learned his lesson as a guardsman

Half a dozen spellbinder’s harangue a listless crowd of perhaps fifty persons in the war Memorial Plaza around the square stand a hundred uniformed policeman. The cops, twirling their clubs, look board. Nothing happens. So many policeman, apparently on hand to preserve order, seems a little silly. They outnumber the rest of the crowd two to one.
No nervous Nelly is Police Commissioner Charles D. Gaither, who sent all those bluecoats to the Plaza. But he has seen Baltimore’s police force overpowered and whipped to a standstill. Doing his first police duty, then as a National Guardsmen, he was stoned by the Baltimore’s mob. He helped put down riot in the streets of Baltimore at the point of the bayonet. This happened 60 years ago, but he had never forgotten. He doesn’t believe in taking any chances now. Or, as he expressed it: “I don’t believe in sending a boy to do a man’s job.” That’s why the cops outnumbered the crowd in the Plaza.
Charles the Gaither was born November 20, 1860, at Oakland manner, and 1800 acre farm on the Columbia Pike about 2 miles below Ellicott city. He was little more than a year old when the Civil War broke out. His father, George Riggs Gaither, recruited a company of Marylanders for service in the Confederate Army, and during his absence his farm was sold by his father, who feared confiscation of all his rebel sons’ property by the federal government. A house at 510 Cathedral St. became the captain’s home, from here Charles the Gaither, the fourth of nine children, went to private schools ran with number 7 fire engine company and establish a neighborhood in reputation as a first baseman.
When the boy was 12 years old his father was elected major of the fifth Regiment, whose roster red like the societies visiting list. For in those days men paid an initiation fee of five dollars to join the Regiment, monthly dues of a dollar and $50 for a uniform. Each man also paid his own expenses a summer camp, a frolic usually held at Cape May, Longbranch or some other fashionable seaside resort.
From the day his father became an officer of the fifth Regiment Charles Gaither began to hang around it drill hall, the present Richmond market Armory, inpatient for his 18th birthday in order that he might enlist, in April, 1877, the father, who had been promoted to Lieut. Col., resigned, but the son was still bent on being a soldier.
At 6:30 PM Friday, 20 July 1877, the military call, one – five – one, was wrong on the City Hall and fire bells. Police closed all of the bar rooms in town. Gov. John Lee Carroll had ordered the fifth and sixth regiments of the Maryland National Guard to Cumberland, where striking railroad engineers and firemen had halted train service.

In the crowd gathered at the Richmond market Armory to watch the fifth Regiment marked out for the former Lieut. – Col. and his son. The companies falling in were little more than skeletons. Earlier that summer dissension in the Regiment had led to the resignation of all its field offices, reduce the number of its enlisted men to 175. Of these only about 135 had reported for duty. “Going along, Col.?” Someone asked in the elder Gaither. “Looks like we’re going to need all we can get.” Suddenly Charles the Gaither, a square shouldered, 17-year-old youth who stood 6 feet tall and weighed close all 180 pounds, felt his father’s hand clap his shoulder, his father’s voice saying: “what’s the matter with his boy going?”

The younger Gaither stumbled upstairs into the armory, delighted. With his father’s consent he was enrolled in senior Capt. William P’s Zollinger’s company H. Someone tossed a new recruit a pair of gray trousers. Someone else gave him a blue blouse. A third man slapped a forage cap on his head and a fourth t a musket into his hands.

In the absence of field officers, senior Capt. Zollinger commanded the entire Regiment. His company, age, led the column down you tall Street toward Camden station, where the guardsman were to in train for Cumberland. Because of his height, Private Charles D Gaither was number three man in the second rank of fours

The sounding of the military call that July afternoon, when the streets were filled with persons whom were – bound from work (there were no 40 hour weeks in those days) jam that Eutaw Street with people curious to see what was going on.

At Pratt Street the crowd cheered the soldiers. But the Camden Street they stone them – a sudden change in mob temperament never forgotten by the tall, roll recruit in the second rank of force.

Near the station the crowd blocked the street. The command was: “Battalion holds! Fixed bayonets!”

The crowd broke. Into Camden station marched company H, halting just within the wide door while an officer hurried ahead to find their train.

From the rear of the column the word came up the line; “and They’re stoning them badly back there!” Camden Street was thick with flying brickbats.

The men in company H stood with his shoulders and hunched, protecting their heads with the blanket roles on top they’re knapsacks. Through the station door sailed a brick that bounced off private gazers blanket role, smack the first sergeant squarely on the head and knocked him flat.

“Burn them!” Bellowed the mob in Camden Street. “Hang them! Shoot them!”

The train that was to have taken the guardsman to Cumberland was partly wrecked by the mob, which later set fire to the station. Firemen who answered the alarm were stoned. Hose lines were cut. The police could make no headway against the mob. Alarmed by the riot, Gov. Carroll countermanded the order sending the guardsman to Cumberland, directed them held at Camden station and telegraph Pres. Hayes for federal troops “to protect the state against violence.”

Private Gaither got his first bayonet practice that night helping the fifth Regiment clear the streets around the station, usually a bayonet prick was enough to send a rider flying. Once the command was given, “load, ready, aim”… But it was not necessarily to fire. The mob did not wait. Private Gaither learned to look hard – Boiled, to appear comfortable when lying on the stone sidewalk with a knapsack for a pillow.

Business as well as train service was suspended next day. Banks, post office, custom house were under special guard. A revenue cutter covered bonded government warehouses at locus point with his guns. Light Street streamers anchored in the harbor to avoid damage. Railroad cars were burned. Again riders charged the guardsman. 77 members of the fifth Regiment had been injured at the end of the second day of strike duty.

2000 United States Marines and soldiers of the regular Army arrived in Baltimore the next morning – Sunday. 2000 more were on their way.

By the following Saturday, for the first time in a week, trains began to move again. Company H of the fifth Regiment was sent up along the main line of the Baltimore and Ohio, toward Frederick Junction, to guard railroad bridges.

Private gazers squad was dropped and Elysville, where the tracks crossed and re-crossed the Patapsco River over to bridges. The guardsman only rations were the hardtack they carried in their haversacks. They had no tents, the only shelter insight was a flagman’s house.

“At least a place to sleep,” muttered the corporal. “How about it Gaither?”

The flagman pricked up his ears. “Gaither,” Gaither he repeated. “Howard County Gaither – rebel Gaither – down here by Ellicott city? Not in my house!” That night private gazers slept under the front porch.

The police Commissioner is not sure that he really learned anything about policing during that first brief tour of duty. He was too young, too green. But he must have absorbed a certain familiarity with what mob violence means.

The sixth Marilyn Regiment to entrain with the fifth when the guardsman were first order out, never had reached Camden station as a unit. Clubbed, stoned, fired upon from all sides by the mob in Baltimore Street, the soldier had halted to wheel and fire back into the crowd several times. 10 persons were killed and 13 wounded before the Regiment was literally torn to pieces, its members being seized, stripped of their uniforms and thrown into the Jones falls. The few who made the Camden station ran for it. There prudent commander followed them in a carriage – after dark.

Looking back on this, the Commissioner sees the value of a demonstration of force.

The fifth Regiment had March to Camden station in regimental formation. The sixth had been dispatched from its armory, at front and Fayette Street, company by company. The companies were small. Had they stuck together, the Commissioner thinks, they might’ve spared themselves a lot of grief.

Once he came of age, young Gaither’s promotion in the fifth Regiment was rapid. By 1887 he had been elected Connell. Three years later he resigned to give all his attention to a bond brokerage business. But shortly before the United States declared what John hay called it “splendid little war” with Spain, the formal Connell was persuaded to rejoin the Regiment as Capt. of company F. He was still Capt. of company F in May, 1898, when the Regiment went South in Cal high boots, flannel shirts and winter overcoat’s to fight mosquitoes, bed cooking and typhoid fever at Tampa. Here is men began to call him “big six.” Nobody knows just what inspired this nickname.

For 10 hot weeks the Regiment, now designated the fifth United States volunteers, set around Tampa was sweat in its years and sand in his mouth. “Big sixes” company was detached as division headquarters guard. Orders were issued to embark the whole Regiment for Cuba – orders were countermanded. Santiago. Typhoid swept the fifth. It was mustered out of the federal service and shipped home.

But the martial spirit was still upon the captain of company F. Through United States Sen. Louis Emery McComas he applied for a commission in another volunteer Regiment. Sen. McComas carried his request to the White House, and pressed upon Pres. McKinley that the applicant was the son of a former Confederate officer.

“A Confederate officers son?” Mussed the President. “What he accept a commission in a Negro Regiment?”

He would and did, going to Cuba as a Lieut. of the ninth United States volunteer infantry, a Negro outfit. He remained in the federal service until 1899, then returned to Baltimore to succeed his father, who had died that year, as commander of the fifth Regiment veterans court with the rank of Col.

After the Baltimore fire, Adjulant-General Clinton L Riggs made Col. Gaither inspector – general of the Maryland National Guard.

The acting Inspector General told Marilyn’s guardsman how to drill. As executive officer as Saunders rains later he also taught them how to shoot. He himself was Capt. of the American rifle team that won the 1912 international match at Buenos Aires.

Appointed Brig. Gen. in command of the Maryland National Guard in 1912, his first active duty as a general officer, like his first active duty as a private soldier, was riot duty. He had four companies of the fifth Regiment to Chestertown to bring the Baltimore to Negroes in danger of being lynched.

There was no evidence. A clever show of force was all that was necessary, general Gaither said afterward. If you are ready for trouble and look as if you mean business, trouble is not likely to begin. That is one of his pet theories

A high rating awarded general Gaither in tactical test against regular Army officers on the Mexican border in 1916 seemed to assure him of going overseas as a brigadier when he took the Maryland brigade to Camp McClellan at Anniston the following year. But early in December he suffered the keenest disappointment of his life. An army surgeon listen to his heart, ordered him discharged for physical disability.

In vain to the general appeal for a revocation of his order. A hard rider, a strenuous tennis player, he had never been in better health. But the order for his discharge stood and at Christmas time he came back to Baltimore, his faithful sorrel, Picket, following in a box car.

From a reviewing stand at the day the Maryland National Guard returned to Baltimore from France the general stall picket dancing to the music of the band – with a policeman in his saddle. Picket had already joined the police force. Before the war was over the general had sold him to the mounted service.

Such was the preparation of the man appointed in 1920 by Gov. Ritchie to be police Commissioner of Baltimore. He came to the job 60 years old, but a vigorous, a wrecked, military man with a soldiers jaw, a stick and a pipe and a soldier’s vocabulary.

The day after his appointment the general (he is always been “the general” to the police) announced that the day of “pull” was over as far as the Police Department administration was concerned. The cops squared their shoulders, saved a little closer, put a little more polish on their shoes and a sharp increase in their trouser and waited for the lightning to strike.

No shakeups, no dismissals followed. And when they got to know their new boss they got to like him. In believe any of them were perfect. He told them so. But he was ready to go to bat for them. Out of this devotion of the general for his force grew a police esprit de corps never before particularly evident here.

The general had no fool’s idea – his own phrase – about policing. For all the tradition of snap and cadence behind him, he was far from being a martinet. He didn’t believe that method or system can substitute for common sense. More police and speedy trial answered the crime problem for him.

He knew the town from end to end – and from a tired flatfoot’s point of view. For years he had been walking to keep down his weight. He knew how long it took to walk any beat in the city, the quickest and straightest route between two given points. He is still a great walker, frequently turning up on remote post to ask astonished officers what is happening. Prohibition and traffic were the Scylla and Charybdis of the first years of his administration. Crime, with the exception of the Noris case, took a backseat. A ruling by the attorney – general relieving police from enforcing the Volstead law called for some rather delicate discrimination. And no traffic regulations that suit every body having yet been perfected, the general got it going and stopping when he told motorist what they could and couldn’t do.

But he is never been swept off his feet by any crusading zeal. He figures that enforcing the law – was he knows to the letter – is a much more important police function.

If his men smother radical demonstrations before they have time to sprout, they are likewise under order to play fair. In labor disputes he never forgets that strikers have their rights and demands that his men work and partially to preserve order. Family relief work by police during the first critical emergency of the depression, to say nothing of food and shelter provided until around 5 o’clock in the afternoon – except when the horses are at Pimlico. He likes to see them run, Homeless men at police stations, have made his department the first friend to the every afternoon of the spring and fall meats, but rarely places a bet because he picks too many wrong ones. He telephoned headquarters every night at 11 o’clock to see what is up and tunes in to police calls. Needy.

The General makes his job a full-time one, getting down to work at 9 o’clock every morning and staying there without any time wherever he goes, and occasional football or baseball game on a Saturday afternoon, Pimlico during the racing season the theater at night, the general always buys a ticket. Since he became police Commissioner he has never been known to accept a pass. And it is most uncommon for him to use a Police Department automobile. When he rides, he rides in his own car, buys his own gasoline. He would rather walk and ride any day.

Now 75 years old, his hair snow white, he is given up to set or two of 10 as he used to play every summer evening before dinner was one of his two daughters. But he can still walk the legs off of many of the younger man. Fine mornings, from early fall until late spring, see him strolling down to the police building from his apartment at Preston and St. Paul streets. When summer comes he and his wife move out to a farm on a high rolling hills near Ellicott city.

Why should he be popular in the police department? If he has done nothing else, he has put all the cops on a three platoon system, which means less work, and raises their pay. But the administration is mutual. After 15 years as commissioner, the general says”:

“It takes nerve to go into the places that a policeman has to go. But my men go in. None of them has ever been yellow.”


William Lawson

Hamilton R. Atkinson

Beverly Ober

Bernard Schmidt

Donald D. Pomerleau

Donald D. Pomerleau swearing in for his 3rd. term.
June 14, 1978

Commissioner Frank Bataglia
Frank J. Battaglia

Robinson Tilghman
Bishop L. Robinson (left)
Edward J. Tilghman (right)

Edward W. Woods

Thomas C. Frazier

Edward T. Norris

Kevin P. Clark

Leonard D. Hamm

Bealefeld III
Frederick H. Bealefeld III
Anthony W. Batts
2012 - Present
Baltimore, MD (December 27, 2012): Communities across the City of Baltimore are getting new police leadership. The announcement comes as Police Commissioner Anthony Batts begins to implement strategic changes to help ensure the department has a strong foundation in place to start 2013 with a distinct plan to attack crime and disorder.

“Maximizing our most valuable resource – our employees – and ensuring we have the best leadership teams in place to take on the challenges we face in 2013 is the impetus behind these moves,” says Batts. “We are putting the people and systems in place to help improve our crime fight and that includes better management of our resources, community engagement, and a continued and targeted focus on guns and gangs – that small group of criminals who wreak havoc on our communities.”

The changes include the addition of a Community Policing Division led by newly promoted Lt. Colonel Melvin Russell, a mainstay commander who successfully drove down crime in the Eastern Division through the implementation of a strong community policing strategy. Commissioner Batts intends to take this best practice across the city.

A new Special Enforcement tangent of Patrol, led by Lt. Colonel Ross Buzzuro and assisted by Major Clifton McWhite, formerly of Western District, will focus on special operations and zone enforcement teams that will concentrate on gangs and guns and bring stability to neighborhoods that are experiencing higher crime rates. Garnell Green, most recently in charge of Homicides in the Criminal Investigations Division (CID), has been promoted to Colonel and will command the Patrol Division, while Major Darryl De Sousa is promoted to Lt. Colonel to oversee the Area 1 Command. Area 2 Command remains under the auspices of Lt. Colonel Robert Booker.

Colonel Dean Palmere, who most recently led Patrol, will take the reins of CID, taking over from the retiring Colonel Jesse Oden. Deputy Commissioner John Skinner remains in charge of overall Operations.

There will be four new faces added to district commands with the promotion of Lieutenants Kim Burris, Osborne ‘Moe’ Robinson, Deron Garrity and Erik Pecha to the rank of Captain and second-in-command of districts. Captains Melissa Hyatt, Keith Matthews, and Robert Smith are all being promoted to Major to take command of Central, Eastern and Western Districts respectively.

“We have full confidence in the abilities of those we have promoted and those moving to new challenges. We encourage our communities to welcome their leadership teams and continue to support the face of public safety in their neighborhoods.”

The changes are the beginning of a number of coordinated and strategic efforts to improve policing through a strategic crime focus, improved intelligence gathering and sharing, and a renewed commitment to proactive policing and community engagement.

farnan Tom
Grand Master of Baltimore Cops
Marshal "Tom" Farnan
10 October 1909

Tom Farnan, Marshal of police of Baltimore, is one of the greatest police chiefs in the country, and his record is one that can hardly be equaled.

There are chiefs and chiefs. Some chiefs had become chief is chiefly by virtue of the norm rice and helpful political pole. Some have become chief is merely because fortune happened and to be in a sunny humor one day and blew a feather of leadership on there.

Marshal Farna in is chief his own right, because he has seen to score years a practical service without a single lapse of duty, because he has been through all the knotty experiences that the men under him have to go through, because there is no wind DB or troublesome post so when the or so troublesome that he’s own experience can’t bring forth suggestions to help those under him who must tackle it. He knows his job at his job that some like an old shoe.

There is no fuss or hurry or glitter in marshal Fuhrman’s Office in the courthouse. He has a thoroughly work-a-day the atmosphere. There are no hidden private rooms or solemn ante-rooms, with bill boys hoping from one to another. There is no painfully obvious and austere system. Everything runs as smoothly and quietly as a clock that has been well made.

His Daily Routine
When Marshal Farnan comes down to work in the morning at 8:00 he first opens his mail and dictates replies to his ever ready, vigilant and hype are excellent secretary. John Swikert, the reformed actor. The replies to communication from departments in other cities he dictates right away. If there is no special hurry for a response he stays a letter until later in the day and turns his attention to the next matter what his docket, which uses daily reception to the police captains.

Every morning the captains from all the districts in the city make their way to the Marshal’s office and about nine or 9:30 o’clock. That explains how it is that you see those magnificent apparitions of gold lace and blue want the streets downtown in the early morning.

They had two wars the court house like Kingfishers – all whenever that Goldie painted, St. Louis burden is – after snakes. Once within the sacred precincts of the Marshal’s office they salute and clear their throats and then sit down and bring forth their daily written reports.

First off the Marshal looks over these reports. Many get ready for the regular morning captain’s pow-wow or big talk

To bring this about he chivies as the reporters at other room, disburses the band of anguished lad and mothers and parents who’ve come to seek lost sons and reputations, close of the bid door which lets it out, and also Ian, upon the outside world: all ranges of the extra board of seated, leather cushioned spell to back tears in his sanctum behind the railings in a semicircle, with his own swivel chair in the center and then addresses the meeting.

A Secret Conclave
The rest of this and description must be reading from a magic nation, for that meeting is held up behind closed doors, and the reader may assist an ex paragraph or two, if he pleases, by as many poetic and affecting thoughts from his own imagination as he likes.

After the vulgar mob has been excluded marshal Farnan harangues his captain’s and asked them for Tom potential tidings regarding affairs in their districts. They tell him all that is going on – who is selling on Sunday, what old offenders have been robbed up, what handbooks have been reported, Albany dogs are howling at night and happy husbands are being their wives. Marshal Farna and hears them in silence and then gives his opinion. He asks his chief to their opinions, two and every morning in fact there is a formal council of war. If there is a big case on and the conference may last until after noon.

The deliberation of this office to body are never made public. They never find their way to any record except as the secrets brain of a capture or trial. The findings of the counsel or simply repeated by the captain’s to their lieutenants and their men under them who are supposed to carry out orders.

The details are told before this gathering. Some more pathetic, some are humorous, some are tragic, some are serio-comic, and some nearly sorted and pitiful. All them or filled with human nature at its rankest. It’s rankest novel in these incidents of real life and one of them would flavor a Henry James Book for 20 chapters.

Many Tales of Woe
So a custom as good a Marshal Tom grown to such tales, however, that he does not think about their more up peelings side. His sympathies are not hardened and he is not apathetic, and the stories he hears would stir him to tears sometimes Cynthia Loudon self to think about them. But he looks at them the only as problems of police work but he asked the soft, and does not allow himself to become excited.

At the conclusion of his captain’s meeting Marshal Farnan and finishes as much man as he can and began and receiving callers. There are canned 10 you’ll calls upon him and upon his patients. Men and women com to him with the most absurd complaints. For instance, last week an unshorn individual who claimed that he failed for were sent and materialized them self before the marshals desk. The Marshal look to them and said good morning pleasantly. I will want you to find my boy said the unshorn individual – I waited two days for you to find my boy!

Who is your boy asked the Marshal Farnan and with a patient’s born out of long experience. “I sent you a letter about him two days ago” said the ever-weary stranger gruffly. “I live in Washington” what makes you think about your boy came to Baltimore asked the marshal softly

“He didn’t have money enough to go farther away” said the stranger in a final tone, “he is here”

Then The Stranger Fated 
Did you ever stop to consider that your son might have jumped a freight train and gone further away!” asked Marshal Farnan. “If you have any reason to think he came here I will have the city searched once more, but I can’t waste valuable time in following foolish clues.” Isn’t a stranger went and peace route it once more over the northeast corner of the court house.

The principle of fenders in the way of putting it in our women, however, it must be a silly and firmly noted. They have the excuse that they don’t know much about police procedure.

Their inquiries and sell these are very very trying. No of media it’s specific in distances have come to mind, because innocence is so such of a kind of our so frequent that they’re not noticed when they occur, but it is not infrequent for a woman to ask the assistance of the Marshal of the police to find a street pet poodle.
At about 12:00 marshal Farnan and goes out to lunch. He plays a tall black derby hat above his cadaverous and melancholy countenance, dons a long coat of a somber hue and slides out of his office.

He launches at his home, now all west Lombard Street, near the corner of Fremont and he returns to work and at about half after 1:00. Then the afternoon from that time until 4:00 is taken out with hearing complaints of various sorts or in personnel excursions to different points in the city, and in answering letters.

At 4:00 he goes home once more and stays there and still his return to the office at six. There he retains, finally until 8:00, then he strolls out of the office, and if that night is fine walks home content that 14 days work has been dispatched.

Something Like Old Abe
It takes a peculiar talent to handle nicely the problems that arise in the marshal’s office in a great city, but Marshal Farna and has and the gift. To be a good chief of police you must be wise and moderate, filed at hearts,, and dance of the year, lapsed and strict or stringent, pleasant and unpleasant, as occasional demands. And above all, you must have a sense of humor and a sense of proportion. If you have not this sense of proportion in a position so filled with bother some little details, you are lost, indeed. Marshal Tom like Abraham Lincoln has a sense of humor. Did you ever notice by the way, the resemblance between Tom Fuhrman and Lincoln in many respects? Tom Fern labs jokes, jokes of all kinds, big, broad jokes and little ladylike jokes, and he prefers big, broad that man’s size to jokes best of all. Beyond that he is always ready to swap a joke at the proper time. Beyond that he has a melancholy and humorous countenance. Beyond that he’d never has lost his head in the emergency.

And there are indeed, many characteristics in their separate makeup as in their separate and divergent spheres, wherein the martyred president and is alive and healthy terror two endeavors of Baltimore might meet and shake hands.

When dealing with the big situations Marshal Farnan and is always cool and collected. He does not act heard late, but he acts promptly and boldly. Marshal Tom simply dotes on a good a rattling, puzzling, sleuthing job that calls all of his wits into play. This side of his nature is shown very well in the factor that when he was one the force as a common garden variety member of the “finest” he was especially fond of burglary cases. He solicited, sought out and made up all manner of burglary cases just for the pleasure of working them up. Now, a burglary case to order a policeman, is A bugbear. He doesn’t know how to handle it. It requires a deep thought and much to plumb to see and a man strolled act for untangling somebody else’s tangles.
burglar 1909

A Specialist In Burglars
Marshal Tom used to specialize on burglary cases. The more tangled they were the better he likes them. He made himself as for a number of clever captures he effected among the gentleman of the GEN the and dark lantern, and he is on record as having unearthed a burglary cases would never in any sane world be supposed to grow. He led the burglars. He may have caught more burglars then there were burgers but at any rate he caught all that there were in his district. Then another quality besides this one of patience and persistence that helped to make Marshal Farna and a good police officer is his ability to pick out the salient one amidst a mass of close and one that down. He is practical and common-sense, and he has worked among men so long that he is able to perceive by a process of divination Hal a man would act under given circumstances. In the office marshal Farna and is silent with his near a acquaintances, a personable, but taciturn, with those who have not yet made his acquaintance, and affable and even jovial with his friends. After an hour’s, or when there is a slackness in the rush of things at the office. He is laughing, good humored, boisterous sometimes, they all together a good fellow. Every wheel man has some cached adresse takes that distinguishes him from the Sunday school pictures of the perfect citizen. It is the things by which you had a em up in your memories storehouse.

Sometimes He Explodes
Marshal Farnan’s unscriptural characteristics is a Celtic an exceedingly hot temper that if once allowed to get out of bounds rampages around in a very the lively matter until it cools off, which happens very shortly. It is not often that the Marshal gets fighting mad, but when he does he is red-hot. The object of his wrath goes to a cyclone cellar or picks up his remains and escapes.

“_ _ _ _ _ !!! ))) !!! ? _______” “ It is one of the Marshal’s off days.” Addy-kongs and mere assistants of all sorts scamper out into the marble corridor like leaves blown by a frosty autumn wind. But they don’t come often these spells of wrath, and they clear away shortly and politely. “Marshal Farnan is one of the pleasantest men in the world to work for” said John Swikert, his time-tried secretary, last week. “He doesn’t hurry you and he is always good tempered _ unless you interfere with his work. I have been with him for years, and I wouldn’t want to work for any other man in Baltimore.” Another one of Mr. Fuhrman’s Office family is his deputy, Mr. Manning. Deputy manning is almost as well known as his chief, and his duties are almost as onerous. He has been associated with Mr. Farnan for many years and he was a brother copper on the force with him for many other years. He is ready at any minute to lookout for marshal Farnan’s and all the jobs in addition to his own, when Marshal Frey men, for any reason is not at the office. Last day a year ago, when marshal Farnan had been 40 years a policeman, his official family and many of his admirers in the city and state joined together in giving him a banquet and a silver service. The banquet and presentation came off at Hazaer’s Hall and a large crowd was in attendance. Governor Warfield was there, and marshal Farnan made a speech. There were other speeches by various men prominent in Baltimore.

His Police Career
In presenting the service president will us, of the police board said, the 1 April 30th 1867 just 40 years ago tonight the young man, then just 21 years of age was appointed as a patrolman on the police force of Baltimore. He reported to the southern police station and was assigned to duty, with the instructions to keep his post quiet. By day like this new officer had made 25 arrests on February 1, 1870, just three years later he was promoted to the grade of sergeant and his regime enforcement of discipline and as kind words of caution to his squad, some of whom are members now of the force, are well remembered and appreciated. On April 24 1871 a shutdown was promoted to the grade of lieutenant on October 24, 1885 promoted to the grave captain on February 23 1893 promoted to the grade of deputy Marshal and on August 8, 1902 to the grade of Marshal of the police force of Baltimore City. Upon examination of records of the department there is nowhere to be found any entry indicating that this young man had ever been censured for neglect of his duty or for the slightest violation of any of the rules of the department. During his long career of faithful service many incidents can be pointed out where, at the risk of his own life, he had intervened for the protection of life and property, and where violators of the law had been uncovered by him and brought to face the charges made against them.

His Record Is Clean
Marshal Farnan occupies a most and veal position in the history of police affairs in this city. So far as can be ascertained Baltimore alone can boast one of the chief’s who has surged 40 years in various ranks without interpretation and instill vigorous and strong. That he showed, city’s long years of experience, occupying from the lowest to the highest rank, come in contact with many exacting a an exciting situations, temptations, hardships and dangers, come out of all unharmed and with a record perfectly clean and with a reputation of having faithfully and will perform his duties, is a great record. And should excite emulation and the members of the police force.

Marshal Farnan and has a national reputation and as good work at the head of the department has given this city the name amongst crux as the graveyard because few of the criminals who have operated in Baltimore in the past years have got away. In presenting this beautiful testimonial to you on behalf of the force and you are many friends, it is proper and that I should say that year services have not gone on warded. There may be cities where a man in your position commands more money than you get, but there is no man and public service and he were in the world who was more appreciated then you among your fellow citizens, and this testimonial should be a lasting memory to you of the esteem in which you are held by your fellow citizens.

His Duet of Vices
There be way he’s in ways of living, and when a man has lived 2/3 score years and AIDS fares to complete a great deal more than three score and 10, the Psalmist’s allotment to mortals, it is a matter of interest to know how he lives. Marshal Farnan is common-sense in his mode of life. He rarely touch is liquor, but if when off-duty he wants a drank it takes one, he smokes and chews tobacco and he eats in very rapidly. These two points are about the only ones in the schedule of his personal economy that could be marked with black crosses. He smokes periodically outrageous cigars and thief fairly bolts his food. He is fond of fresh air. He usually walks to his home out one Lombard street if today is good, at the end of the day’s work. Whenever he can, he takes the error. Just about two years ago marshal Farnan attracted a good deal of attention on a gossipy way among Baltimoreans by backing the Biblical saying that it is not good for a man to live alone and by doing in one better by the assertion that a man had the best began the process of living double early. His pronunciamento became a topic of tea tables and café tables. There were frenzied and discussions in all parts of the city, pro and con, whether or not and Y. Marshal Farnan stock staunchly to his guns. It was good for a man to marry early he said, he married early himself and he had been a most exemplary family man. His wife’s name before marriage was Margaret Sicilia Applegarth, and she was the daughter of Robert Applegarth of his city. Say what you will, the ira’s blood produces many great and enviable characteristics. It produces humor, between sea and energy, as ample fide by Pat Kirwan, Michael Redding and in Marshal Farnan’s keen appreciation of the humorous situations comes from his Irish birth.

How He Joined The Force
The main facts of Mmarshal Farnan’s Life since he joined the police force are in prison wallace’s speech on the occasion of the affair at Hazazer’s Hall. His life before he became a policeman can be summed up briefly. Thomas frank Farnan was born in Baltimore on March 15, 1846. His father was Michael F Farnan a labor who had been for worn off to retire from work at his old age. Young Farnan attended the public schools of Baltimore and later Calvert hall, from which he was graduated in 1862. Is ambition had always been to become a carpenter when he should grow to manhood. From his early boyhood days he had played an worked with carpenters tolls, and soon as he finished his high school he apprenticed himself out to a carpenter. She as a carpenter he labored for about four years, when he went to work in his chosen line prompted him to turn his attention to mail writing. He was not long in mill writing before another dull season found him without work. And this time there occurred a reorganization of moment in the Baltimore police department, and several of Farnan’s friends found themselves positions of influence within the new board of police commissioners. It was suggested to him that while he was without work in his own trade he tries handed being a policeman. Farnham was at that time just 21-the age requirement for application for position as police-and he determined to permit his friends to secure for him a place. In April of 1867 he was appointed as policemen. In those days the police were not required to serve as probationers, as they are today and the young officer was given a regular assignment, and that in one of the least desirable districts of the city. Four days of police duty and the southern district decided the young officer that he had not been intended for a policeman. That day as he greeted the lieutenant of the district it was with no cheerful face, and he frankly announced that he was tired of being a policeman in which to resign. Hold on a little longer than 10 advised you will like it better in after a while young Farnan’s held on.

His First Big Case
One of the first big cases marshal Farna never figured it was that of George woods alias George Moore in Negro who was a desperate thief. Woods came as his first big case, and for that reason and the arrest is still green in the memory of the marshal. It was on the night of January 7 1869 that he made the arrests, after having worked on the matter for nearly a year. Captain Wallace Clayton, of this daughter Brittany, lying at the bowery wharf was one night robbed and the thieves cut out one of his eyes when a captain tried to fight for his life the case aroused a great deal of indignation, and though the thieves left no close behind patrolman Farnan’s worked steadily to unearth the crime. Finally he struck the trail and captured woods. Captain Clayton identified him as his assailant, and woods went to the Maryland penitentiary for 15 years. One of the most eventful periods of the marshal’s life was during the railroad riots of 1877. He was a lieutenant in the southern districts under Captain Delanty at the time and was in charge of a squad of men at Camden station. When the fifth regiment arrived at the depot the mob threw stones at the soldiers and lieutenant Farnan’s saw a big man Ser one of the missiles.

1909 police BPD

Fought His Way Out
He grasped that the man and his fellow officers tried to persuade him not to fight his way through the mob with a prisoner. Lieutenant’s Farnan said he had arrested the man and intended to take him to the southern district police station. He started with a prisoner and the mob may to rush for him. Women called from the windows to the officer to take refuge endorsed to keep from being killed, but he shook his head. Things came so warm that the lieutenant’s all he must go to some extent to impress the crowd with his determination. He drew his pistol, placed it against the prisoners forehead and told him if he did not tell the mob he was willing to go to the station house he would blow was brains out. The prisoner thoroughly frightened, told the crowd that he would accompany the officer willingly and the mob withdrew on the lieutenant Farnan was the only policeman who got to the mob with a prisoner. His presence of mine and ready wit saved him upon that occasion as it was many times since. But those things are pass now, and as he looks back on them the marshal layoffs heartedly, as though they were big jokes. He is particularly fond of telling these war stories in which he was the blood of the joke, but he also knows a good many in which he figure’s as the joker, for the Marshall is full of fun.

A Frenzied Irishman
He tells with great delight of a case which occurred while he was lieutenant in the southern district there was a lot of excitement down there one day he says and it was all ‘caused by a little Irishmen he raise such a racket about his house that the neighbors complained and a minister declared he could not conduct his services. I went around to the house, and there stood and probably 800 persons listening to that curses and shrieks of the man. Some officers stood outside and I ask why they did not go in and arrest the man. Why he has a pistol and told us he would kill the first man who comes near the door they said I asked who he had the one for in a new one had been issued in the case, and when the aid was given me a call to the man inside asking if he heard me yes I hear you he said and I’ll blow the tapi your head off if you come near me” I read the wanted him in and told him to open the door. He refused and repeated his threat that he would kill the first man who tried to enter his house.

I put my shoulder against the door and it went in with a crash. A stepped into the room holding a lamp in my hand which had been provided by a woman who live nearby. There’s still a little higher smitten in the middle of the room, and when he saw me walking toward him he said, “one marshal Farnan had you do? - if I did know it was you I did open the door long ago!”

He Caught a Tartar
One night when the marshal was a sergeant he met and Negro who was deaf and dumb. The men was powerfully builds and had committed an assault. Sergeant Farnan placed him under arrest. In the grow wheeled about, caught the sergeant’s arm and threw him over his shoulders as he would handle an infant. The sergeant was at the man’s mercy, because both his hands were helpless and he could not use his feet. Holding his prisoners tightly as he could and without apparent effort, the Negro climbed up the stairs of a house in the neighborhood until he raged in the attic. There the sergeant found himself face to face with three other neighbors of bad reputation. Realizing his position, as sergeant told the trio if they did not help him placed a deaf and dumb Negro under arrest he would held every one of them if he got away alive. The officer was an earnest, and his tone could not be mistaken. All the men knew him and they felt they had better take sides with him. The grappled with the big black and the five men pits down the steps to gather this trouble on the staircase was more then the old wood can stand at a gateway. Sergeant Farnan’s knew it was the encounter of his life. As soon as them as of humanity of which he was part reached the sidewalk he wrapped on the curb with his Espantoon. Other policeman came to his aid. It required eight of the “finest” to land and Negro in the station house.

How He Was Called Down
There has been much made of the fact that Marshal Farnan has never been reprimanded in his official career. He has not, but he has been severely repulsed as the following anecdote will show. There was a great throng of people in front of the cathedral during the recent cathedral centenary. As a Marshal had policeman of all grades there to see the order was preserved, and he went up to look about for himself. He saw a little group standing in the way, so he walked over and asked that the group stand back. “Oh! Go on, Tom Farnan, and don’t you get smart; for we’ve got more right here then you have!” Said a typical old Irish woman as her eyes snapped fire at the Marshal. If the marshal is a fighter he displayed none of this ability there, but moved off without another word. Later he told it as a good joke on himself. Marshal Farnan knows everyone worth knowing in Baltimore, from cardinal gibbons down the line. When he can get away from his office for a few hours he likes to move about the city and talk to the people. As a rule, deputy marshal manning is with him and often they are seen at the theaters in the evening. When he was a couple of days off

maryland flag line6
Please contact Det. Ret. Kenny Driscoll if you have any pictures of you or your family members and wish them remembered here on this tribute site to Honor the fine men and women who have served with Honor and Distinction at the Baltimore Police Department.

Anyone with information, photographs, memorabilia, or other "Baltimore City Police" items can contact Ret. Det. Kenny Driscoll at  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. follow us on Twitter @BaltoPoliceHist or like us on Facebook or mail pics to 8138 Dundalk Ave. Baltimore Md. 21222